Tuesday, December 30, 2008

So Long 2008


A year I'm glad to say goodbye to. A year I'll never forget. A year where I truly learned to depend on God every step of the way. One of the hardest, yet amazing years of our lives.

JANUARY 2008:

  • Our 14 years of full time ministry came to an end. We had no idea what to do next.
  • Pondered the idea of opening an Auntie Anne's franchise....something we had talked about years before.
  • D.S. took 24 hours at Dallas Baptist University to complete his Business Degree.
FEBRUARY 2008:

  • D.S. studying hard.
  • Began pursuing Auntie Anne's
MAY 2008:

  • D.S. graduated from DBU with Business Degree.
  • Put house on the market.
JUNE 2008:

  • Moved back home to central Texas.
JULY 2008:

  • Went to Pennsylvania for Auntie Anne's interview.
  • Received approval from Auntie Anne's and began looking for a location.
AUGUST 2008:

  • Still looking for location, but nothing turning up.
  • Still have house on the market.
  • Wondered if we were doing the right thing....
SEPTEMBER 2008:

  • Spicy Girl starts Kindergarten.
  • Still living in a temporary place.
  • Not sure where we're going to be and feeling rather anxious and scared.
OCTOBER 2008:

  • The last day of this month, our house sells.
  • Friends who are building their second A.A. location decide their hands are full with their current location, and offer this one to us.
  • Wondering.... "Was God building our store right down the road from us this whole time???"
NOVEMBER 2008:
  • We go to Pennsylvania for training.
  • The store officially becomes ours.
  • We open the week before Thanksgiving.
DECEMBER 2008:

  • We are the official owners of an Auntie Anne's Franchise. Something we had talked years ago about doing, but never thought we'd actually do it.
God's promises to us this year:
"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:14
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9

14 comments:

erica said...

I cried while I read this one.... How amazing our God is and how fantastic it is that you guys are living another dream. This is truly just like him.

I have been praying for you to be able to rest a bit. Hope you have!

erica

Linette said...

I have loved watching God work in your lives this year! I love how I think about you everytime I see an Auntie Anne's store. :) Wishing you all the best in 2009!

Nikki said...

What a year indeed...amazing to look back and see how He was working behind the scenes the whole time!
I look forward to seeing what God has in store for your family in 2009.
XO

PandaMom said...

My other comment just poofed into cyberspace. Love you much. Doing a similar post tomorrow, only, I'm still in the wondering part...; ) Hug the fam from us!!!

Kelly And Allison said...

I think you had a wonderful year. You should be very proud of what you have achieved. Spice girl looks beautiful.

Have a wonderful New Year!

Tina

Gwen Oatsvall said...

So exciting to see something you prayed for become a reality and to see how God provided along the way the strength needed to take the next step ...

Can't wait to see what 2009 has in store for us all ...

Ashton said...

How Cute!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish God would show us the long range plans, but I know His way is so much better. It's amazing when you look back how you can see His hand all over things.

Anonymous said...

With such an adorable cashier (last photo!) your store is certain to be a huge success!!!

Hoping this year is much less stressful for you than the past year was...

Steffie B. said...

Happy New Year.....you are so blessed sweet girl.... ;)

Hugs,
Steffie

Tracee said...

I haven't checked your blog for some time and you guys have had some major changes! First, I didn't realize your dumpling was from Yueyang City. Our daughter was adopted from Yueyang City in Dec. 2002 at 6 months old. Second, my family moved to Austin when I was 2. We lived NW in the 620/183 area. I graduated from Westwood HS. Lilly is in the first grade this year and I can't believe how fast the time has gone! Congrats on your AA store! What location are y'all at? We visit Austin often as we now live in NW PA.

Mama Darling said...

What a year! I'm praying that God will bless your family in great ways in 2009. Wish SG a happy birthday for us. I can't believe how fast our girls are growing up! Miss you.

Ski Patrol said...

WOW!! Life is full of amazing turns and twists!! Thrilled to see you are all happy and healthy!! Yippee!!!!

~LL~ said...

Though I have cried, prayed and fretted with you guys, I can still not imagine the emotional roller coaster y'all were on. I'm SO thankful in how God has blessed you. What a wonderful post and reminder that God truly has great plans for all of us!