Saturday, December 05, 2009

5 Minutes of Snow


Here in Central Texas, we RARELY get snow. As a matter of fact, we haven't had "snow" since Valentine's Day of 2004. It gets cold, and we have some icy weather sometimes, but actual snow...not so much. All week we've been watching the forecaster's predictions of snow. We Central Texans know not to take it too seriously, because in our area, the weather changes quite abruptly at the drop of a hat. As we got closer to Friday, the forecast still showed snow coming. We could get up to 2 inches in some areas. Now, those of you who live way up north, don't laugh. That is like a winter blizzard to us. So, as you can imagine, we were getting really excited. School was still on...because any Central Texan knows, that ice/snow chances are reason to shut down the whole city around here. Every child...and teacher...watched out the windows with anticipation. I was in the cafeteria with the 4th graders, when I heard them all GASP at once. Out the windows, you could see flurries getting heavier and heavier. Most of these kids have never seen snow. I couldn't help but be just as excited as them. My time in the cafeteria was up...and I was out of there!! Every child in our school was outside. I went back to my room, grabbed my camera and searched the school grounds for Spicy Girl's class.

And here she is! Snow was blowing up into her face, and she wasn't sure what to think about that. She was so cold, because we aren't used to this kind of cold. But she was excited. The kids were yelling things like, "This is the best Christmas wish EVER!" I loved it. Just to see so many of these kids experience snow flurries for the first time was priceless.
Of course, 30 minutes later, the sun was out and you would have never guessed we had snow blowing in our faces just moments before.
Well, I guess we'll take what we can get. It was a few moments of sheer joy. That's the only way I can explain it. Wish we had more, but I can't complain about this beautiful Texas Fall we've had.


Thought I'd throw in some Christmas tree decorating. Here are a few of our new ornaments.

Spicy Girl has decided that the top one is her and the bottom one is Mei Mei. Yep, we're still waiting for Mei Mei. Another year our agency says. In God's time is what we say.


And if you know anything about Daddy Spice, you'll completely understand this ornament. I can't believe we didn't have this one sooner.
I hope everyone is having a blessed and beautiful holiday season.

Jesus is the reason for the season!!
Merry Christmas everyone!!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

We live in Andrews, TX, transplants from PA in Aug.So to see snow here was a surprise to us. Enjoy seeing your daughter and blog, we have a daughter from Jiangxi. She will be 4 in April.

PandaMom said...

WHERE, OH WHERE did you get the Chinese girl ornaments???!!! I have to have one, too!

BTW: That Valentine's in 2004 was a day after we returned home from China and then had to drive north in it from Austin to my family so they could have a welcome home party for PG! It was so crazy and random to have snow...there...on Valentine's Day!!

Mardi said...

Oh! Looks like fun, I love the ornaments! Yes, as you know very well, in God's perfect timing, SG's mei mei will be hanging ornaments with her sister! Merry Christmas!

Mama Darling said...

OK, I'm with PandaMom...Where did you get those ornaments??? They're perfect!

~LL~ said...

FUN!!! I love the ornaments.

~LL~ said...

Kathy.... Andrews? What took you there? I grew up in Crane... about 1 hour south on the main highway. ;)