Saturday, April 24, 2010

Privacy


I love blogging. I've probably been blogging for 4 years now. I went from avid blogger with lots of "followers" to weekend blogger with a few "followers". It's not so much about the "followers" except that you'd like to think someone is out there admiring your pictures and ponderings. When I started blogging, my playgroup friends were all involved and we had so much fun making "code" names that fit our family, as to keep our names and specific locations a bit private. I LOVED linking with other adoptive families. I've even followed blog families who waited 3 years to finally get their precious babies in their arms.
Blogging is an outlet. I'm a bit shy/reserved, but when I blog, I can say what I really want to say, and no one can see my cheeks turn red. I LOVE taking pictures. I take my camera with me everywhere I go and take pictures every single day; and I love sharing them.
Lately I've been a bit more concerned about "lurkers" out there. The thing is, I don't really know who looks at my blog with the exception of a few friends and family members. The whole point of my blogging is to share/scrapbook my life with my family/friends. If I don't post pictures of them, there's not much point in me blogging. Do you see my dilemma?
I don't want creepy people getting my daughter's picture in their hands.
So, I'm considering going private. I've never wanted to go private, because I like when new people visit my blog and leave a comment, BUT, when your spirit is a bit concerned, you should listen to it.
Comments?

13 comments:

Catching Butterflies 3 said...

I actually cut way back on photos of my kids for the same reason. I want to promote adoption so I haven't gone private. But most of the people that read my blog are in the USA, and I'm in Germany. Somehow I feel safer that way. If you do go private, I hope I can still follow you. I want to see your next child come home!

Rebecca said...

My first thought: I tried having a private blog and it completely cuts you off from the blogging community... by which I really mean "friends of friends." When my dear friend was very sick, MY friends and family were very concerned about her because they felt that they knew her from her blog. I loved that my cousin in Houston and my old college roommate in North Carolina were praying for a woman they had never met in person. In the end, I decided that was much bigger positive than the possibility of lurkers was a negative.

My second thought: Who's lurking? An evil pedophile? He (or ew, I guess she) is going to find an access no matter what we do as long as our children are in the world. Some other mommy blogger comes to our child's birthday party and then our child is on their blog, or a picture on a school website. The lurkers I have a hard time with are the passing acquaintances who find a blog and then follow without comment and there you are in the grocery store and they seem like they know you so well and you haven't spoken since they stopped going to your church or whatever and really, creepy as it might be, that's pretty harmless, too.

Make it private if you think you need to.

Keep it public if you think any one might be blog-hopping one day and find something inspiring in your blog.

That's my quarter's worth.

Sarah Robbins-Bartlow said...

I am ALL about going with your gut. And, if your gut is telling you that you should take your blog private for a bit, then I say do it. You can always change it back later. Listen to the whisper in your soul... I've always found that "whisper" to be the first alert. That is my two cents worth. ;)

Mommy Spice said...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for your comments. It's what I needed to hear. I have some ideas before going private. There are some changes I'm going to make, which may include my blog address, or starting a whole new blog. I wonder if my address invites unwanted visitors...hunanspice. I put a counter on my blog today, and it shows over 1800 visits. Really?? So, I'll keep you gals posted on what I decide to do. Again, thank you for your comments.

BTW Amy...Can you believe it's been 3 years since our LID. Still waiting.

Shari U said...

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I don't have a blog mostly because I don't want nasty comments from people I don't know, but you don't really seem to have that problem; your blog stays very positive. It's fun to watch your spicy girl grow up; seems like just yesterday she was a little tiny baby in your arms.

Mom 2 six said...

Do what you need to- but if you go private I would love to follow. I have been following and commenting forever. I want to see your family grow ...

~LL~ said...

You know how I am with blogging....

AND you know how I feel about listening to Him....

You MUST obey the whisperings of the Holy Spirit... period.

Love you, bunches!!!

Julie and Steve said...

I hope you keep it open, but understand if you decide to go private! I've loved following SG's adventures over the past 3 years...

P.S. - great publicity for Auntie Annes on Oprah today! I was thinking of you guys. :)

DebraLynn said...

I am one of the people who follows your blog as a friend of a friend, in this case, Rebecca. I understand if you want to take it private. But I really do enjoy reading your posts and pray for you and your family when it seems needed.

Summer Kinard said...

Hi. I often stop by via More Than a City in Australia. If you have statcounter, I'm your Durham NC visitor on the iPod. I blog at Phoenix Berries and just enjoy reading other blogs about family life. We are expecting a daughter this summer, and I feel encouraged to see happy, well-loved and well-taught girls in the blogosphere. Thanks for letting us sort of anonymous people stop by to share your joy. I totally understand if you want to go private, but I wanted you to know I'm a regular non-creepy reader.

J&L said...

We love your blog. We are LID 12/2006 so are waiting waiting waiting...

We are not creepy, but I get the challenge.

Jill W said...

You have to do what you are comfortable with. I sometimes have those same thoughts about lurkers. I don't post as much as I used to, but I have made so manny blogger friends. In fact on our trip to Florida earlier this month, I got to meet one in person. That was so cool! It felt like meeting an old friend. If you do go private, I hope I can still follow. I too, want to see your next kiddo come home :)

Donna (Mimi) said...

Oh gee, I would really miss stopping by for visits to keep up with what's going on with you guys. I certainly understand your concern with who might be out there lurking though. I would hope there would be some way you could keep us posted on the progress of this adoption you are waiting on.....

If you stop by our blog -- http://ihopewegettwins.blogspot.com, I'm the Mimi (the twin's grandmother) who has done quite a bit of the posts in the past. My daughter hasn't been keeping it up much lately but I know there are still quite a few folks that stop by for visits. Their situation is a bit different in that their lives and situation has been pretty public over the years so there was really never a way to keep their identities private and we've always hoped the message people get from the blogs were worth it.

Will continue to stop for my regular visits and hope you find a way to make this work for you.