Saturday, August 08, 2009

Back to School


Oh boy, Spicy Girl and I have been so busy shopping for school supplies and back to school clothes. We got a new lunch box and are desperately looking for a Littlest Pet Shop backpack. No luck on that yet. Oh....did I mention....I'm going back to school too??

Yep, I got a job. This has been the hardest venture. I've had my resume out there since last spring. I have visited principals, contacted old teacher friends who have put in a good word for me...and nothing. Then I heard from my former principal who is at a brand new school in the same district I previously taught. We had spoken at the beginning of summer, and he told me there was a hiring freeze but he was going to get back in touch with me. I heard from him about 3 weeks ago. He said he didn't have a teaching position, but he had an idea to get my foot in the door. So, we had an "informal" interview and he offered me a paraprofessional position in which I will be working with struggling 2nd grade students. Then, when one of the 2nd grade teachers goes on maternity leave after Christmas, I will long term sub for her.... and the rest is hush-hush right now.

Have I mentioned before my teaching history? I taught 2nd grade for 10 years. But, I've been out for 6 years and a lot has changed I'm sure. So, this is actually a really great way to ease back into the teaching field. The only downfall is that I won't get my 10 year pay....but again, I'll be getting more than I've gotten in a long time.

I am nervous, anxious and excited...and Spicy Girl feels the same way. She will be going with me which is a little sad for her since she won't be returning to her Kindergarten school and friends. But I'll give her one day, and she'll be just fine. I think she'll be excited that we will be going to school together every day.

Oh, and did I also mention, many of my former colleagues are teaching at this school, and the teacher I will be working with is one of them? I love one of the first grade teachers over there and hope that S.G. might make it into her class. Not sure how much say I have right now.

So, I am officially off the schedule at Auntie Anne's (sigh....) and will be spending next week getting S.G. and I familiar with the new school.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! I bet S.G. will love her new school... especially since it will also be her mommy's school.

Keep us posted on the new school!

P.S. Littlest Pet Shop Puzzle and cards are in my room... I wondered if they were your daughter's. Let me know how you want to get them.

PandaMom said...

PG got a LPS lunch box with a cute monkey on it!! ; )