Thursday, August 17, 2006

I AM HER REAL MOTHER!


Today I took Spicy Girl to a swim party with our Mother's Day Out friends. My co-teacher's daughter is very interested in Spicy Girl being from China. She asks a lot of questions, which I don't mind answering. However today she dwelled on Spicy Girl's "real mother." I tried to explain to her that I am her "real mother" even if I didn't carry her in my tummy. She didn't quite get that because she continued to talk about her "real mother" and how sad it will be that she won't get to see her "real mother" when she grows up. I know that adoption is a difficult concept for children, and she probably thinks of it as knowing her birth mother and then being taken away and raised by another mother. I was worried about how much of the conversation Spicy Girl was listening to. She didn't seem to understand, as she's 3, but it still really bothered me. The girl meant know harm. But I guess I have to realize that even Spicy Girl's peers may make a lot of the same comments as they get older, and I just don't want Spicy Girl to think of me as anything other than her "real mother."

2 comments:

PandaMom said...

Ditto. ; )

Mary said...

Your daughter is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog. It is great to stay in contact with other Mom's of children from China. Good luck on your paperchase! I hope the wait speeds up for you. This year wait from LID is for the birds!!

Mary
LID 8/24/05