Wednesday, August 27, 2008


Ok, is it a bad thing when your kindergartner gets an "uncooperative" note home on the 3rd day of school? I could see that look on the teacher's face when she helped S.G. in the car this afternoon. I know that look well. I've given it MANY times. I have spent the past 13 years teaching young children. There are always those in the beginning of the year that test the boundaries. You don't want to be a "meanie" during the first week of school, but you have to lay down the law right away.
Well, Mrs. "N" gave me the look that something had happened during the day and just politely explained that there was a note in S.G.'s folder. So, of course I asked S.G. what happened today that may have upset Mrs. "N". Well, can you believe it, she couldn't remember. Hmmmm. When we pulled up to the grocery store parking lot, I pulled out the note and read what had happened during "circle" time. Mrs. "N" informed us that S.G. had to sit in time out after being told 3 times to sit criss cross applesauce on the floor. S.G. must like her personal space, because she wanted to lay herself out on the floor and get all comfy. After the third correction, S.G. had to go sit at the table for time out. Well, you can imagine, S.G. was devastated. Mrs. "N" explained in the note that it really wasn't a big deal, S.G.'s just testing the waters, and to please not worry about it.
Somehow, S.G.'s actions do not surprise me one bit. You see, she lives up to the whole Spicy Girl thing. I know my girl, and I know her well. I haven't had a chance yet to sit down with Mrs. "N" and explain about S.G.'s strong will....and if you give her an inch, she'll take a mile. I'm very glad Mrs. "N" held her ground with S.G. today. I'm quite certain this will not be the first time she puts her in time out. I just hope S.G. learns quickly from her mistakes.

The good news is, she still loves school. Tomorrow will be a new day with lessons learned.

10 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

sorry for SG's rough day. I think all of us Hunan mom's know about hte spicy-ness well.:)

SabineM said...

Oh did I chuckle at your story (being a mom of a spicy girl and a "retired" Kindergarten teacher!)...And oh boy, what Am I going to do with my spicy girl (now 3) when she starts school
She is soo strong headed... for example... while on the phone I asked her NOT to talk for a moment, she said BUT I LOVE TO TALK! When we were eating with friends, she begun to sing the ABC song, the Wheels on the BUs, etc... I asked her to please NOT SING at the table, BUT I LOVE TO SING, she replied! School is going to be fuN!

Anonymous said...

aww poor SG, sorry she had a rough 3rd day. Tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning and she will be just fine.

~LL~ said...

Hehehehehe!!! So sorry. I totally am there with you...as #1 and #3 are both strong willed. Also, when #2 was in kinder, he would get a "yellow" for constantly talking. I would ask why and he would say, "I was just so excited, Momma. We learned the letter "K."

LOL!

More days ahead, my dear friend....more days ahead. But these are the kids who DON'T succumb to peer pressure.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how funny. I so know what it is like to have a strong-willed child!

Shari U said...

Gosh, SM, I can't believe you actually expect her to remember after such a long day at school what she could have done to have gotten a note!!! I have a spicy one, too (and it's not my Hunan girl) and all I can say is Hang on for the ride!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but laugh. I would say no, it isn't a bad thing she got a note on day 3. It is a good thing she got it over with early, and if she was devastated, maybe it will be awhile before she tests again. How did you fare with her starting kindergarten? The emails are flying on our playgroup yahoo site with updates on our girls' first day of kindergarten. We have all had our major cries and seemed to be able to hold the tears until we got home.

I am just waiting for the day when Grace gets her note. I am sure it is coming. She is strong willed too. I don't think there is a single one in our travel group who does not have a strong willed child for that matter. I am volunteering in the kindergarten centers and the cafeteria this week and next so I get to hear her teacher and how she handles things. She is the lead, is loving yet tough at the same time.

My daughter was informing the teacher on a little boy yesterday who accidentally hit her when he was twirling around. I wasn't in the room, I was just outside where the centers are and helping one of the other teachers when all that went down. [I asked her later on the way home if he hit her accidentally and she said yes.] SO PROUD to hear her be the informant. I hope she grows out of the informant stage soon.

We went to SeaWorld last week and thought of you as we stopped for a break in your town on the way to the SM outlet. I would have loved to have seen you but offered prayers up instead.

Beth

Mardi said...

It must be good to have an insider's perspective from both sides, eh? Here's hoping day 4 is better for SG. :)

Kris said...

That is so funny...for some reason I feel like I'm looking into my future with little spicy Megan! Oh my!

Mama Darling said...

Now that's the SG we all know and LOVE (and miss!!!!!!)...strong-willed, yet very forgiving and remorseful. If it makes you feel any better, DD was sent to time-out today in HOME SCHOOL! She just couldn't seem to mind her own business and finish her work while I was working with DB. That "princess syndrome" is a hard one to overcome. At least I didn't have to write a note. LOl