Friday, August 29, 2008


A question I've been asking myself for the past few weeks. A wife, a mother, a teacher, a pretzel maker.... Right now, I'm starting a school year with no job. I've sent my only child to school. I'm waiting to know where we will build our Auntie Anne's store. I thought I'd be teaching full time by now. I thought we'd be opening our store soon. I thought I'd have my house sold and be moving into another one. I feel as though I'm standing in the middle of a map with no clue as to which direction to go. For the first time in a long time, I feel completely lost.
I sat alone with God the other day and asked Him what we were doing. Why are we here? What is His plan for us? And He said to me, "I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and future." I sat for a moment and wondered if I just remembered that scripture myself, or if He was really speaking those words to me. Then I opened my Bible randomly....right to Jeremiah 29:11.
Oh, how I hang on to that scripture right now.

5 comments:

Adele said...

I understand how you feel in some way. I have worked all of my life until we got Mallory and then I became a stay at home Mom. I felt like I lost my identity. But then I remembered if we are a child of God, that is the ONLY identity we need. You are precious to HIM, my friend. Hold on to that verse that God has given us. I can't think of a better verse to cling to.
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I so understand how you feel. Six years ago, I got an unexpected and spectacular job offer in Dallas. I loved living in Oregon and struggled with accepting the job, but God gave me total peace about doing it, and I made the move.

That first year was the hardest of my entire life. I didn't exactly fall in love the lonestar state. I found the heat absolutely unbearable.

I felt like a lost puppy with no identity. Completely lost. I struggled to connect anywhere and, having come from a wonderful church, I couldn't find one where I felt at home. That was really tough.

I begged God to let me go home. He said no. So I stayed, and the most amazing journey of my life began. God opened doors I could have never dreamed of. One Friday morning, I sat at a Starbucks in Houston with Beth Moore going, "Lord, how in the world did I get here?!" I still shake my head in amazement at what he has done.

Plus, after that first year, I found out that while I didn't love Texas heat, when it wasn't hot, I liked Texas, and the people there rock! The next three years there were wonderful, and I even got a little bit of Texas pride.

I moved back to Oregon in 2006 with a business that God built and a completely changed person. I wouldn't change a thing except that I would have gone to the hill country more than once!!!!

I now have Ephesians 3:20 on the wall in my home office. "God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!" It's on one wall. A Texas flag hangs on another as a great reminder.

Mommy Spice said...

Thank you Adele, for your words. I am His child and He does know the plans He has for me. I know He's just not ready to lay them out before me right now.

Thank you Joy for your words. You don't know how much I needed to hear them. I know we've followed what God wants us to do, but I just feel a little...no,a lot stuck right now. Thank you for sharing your story. It really encouraged me!!

~LL~ said...

Holding onto the scripture with you. Last week, in church, asked us to remember that we are ALWAYS in process. If we KNOW all that God has planned, we tend to try to take over and get in the way...then it is by OUR power, not for His Glory......and that's all we want, right? HIS GLORY!

When your house sells....you and DS are going to have a lot to do....if you were in a job, it would be a lot harder to take care of stuff when 200 miles away.

And finally....you are preparing for another daughter. You can't be distracted right now. God knows how we, as mothers, get so spread out that we often overlook something that needs to be dealt with. This way, God is making sure that you are there to listen and stay focused, as your life will surely start rolling along at break-neck speed. :D

I love you. You know that. Keep looking up and out. The view is spectactular! You are in my prayers.

PandaMom said...

You know I completely understand and am praying, my friend.