Saturday, October 07, 2006

Mid Autumn Moon Festival



Last night was the Mid Autumn Moon Festival, a Chinese festival that's been celebrated for more than 1,000 years. Americans have been trying to carry on the traditional Asian celebration here in the states for several years now. Until our adoption of Spicy Girl, I never really knew what it was about. Now that we have Spicy Girl, we try to celebrate some special Chinese holidays as a family. Well, this is one special family celebration. It's celebrated a little like Thanksgiving. Family gets together to give thanks for a bountiful summer harvest. A common part of the meal is the Moon Cake. I have never made moon cakes, and didn't get around to it this year, but intent to next year. Moon Cakes are a semi sweet pastry filled with bean or lotus-seed paste, topped with a duck egg, which is in the shape of the full moon.

1 comment:

PandaMom said...

OK. I feel like a BIG dork. Didn't even know about Moon Festival. I guess I better go get us "moon pies" as well.!!! See you tomorrow!