Sunday, November 19, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. When I was a teacher, my team and I made a huge deal out of the Thanksgiving Story. We took two weeks to tell the story. We discussed religious persecution, sacrifices in making the long journey, the actual size of the Mayflower compared to the 102 passengers, unsanitary conditions on the boat, sickness/disease, sailors vs. Pilgrims, hitting land after 66 days (if I remember correctly) on the boat, building homes in harsh winter, death, and finally after a year, celebration for the blessings God had provided. It was not a happy journey. Many people died as they sought religious freedom. Even once they arrived in the New World, they had to build homes, plant food (with help from the Indians), and survive the intense winter. But they did it.

I am so thankful to live in a country that allows me the freedom to worship my God in my church with no restrictions. No "king" can tell me that I can't. I don't have to hide my faith, worship in "underground" churches and fear imprisonment or death if I'm caught proclaiming Jesus as Lord and Savior. I love my country, and I am thankful for those in the past and present that allow me this freedom. I won't forget those who are spending Thanksgiving this year protecting our country and fighting for our continued freedom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mommy spice-
stated so eloquently!! I am impressed. It is so true....

I need to find out how to add pics like that one!

Hope all is well--happy turkey day to the spicy family!!

PandaMom said...

We are so blessed to live here in the USA. Freedom is never free. Happy Thanksgiving! BTW, your letters are coming up different colors now. Is it working again or you can't see it on your screen?

Mary said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you so much for sharing it. We all need to remember just how blessed we are to live the lives we do. Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Great post!!!!! I love reading your blog and I noticed that you are an anne of green gables fan as well