
Well, today I receive the honor of winning first place in the World's Worst Mommy Contest. Have you ever been there? We arrived at church by 8:15am this morning for our family portrait (fundraiser). By 9:00am, I took Spicy Girl to her Sunday School class. On the way to class, I noticed her hold her throat. I asked her if her throat hurt, and she said it did when she bent over.... ok..... I dismissed it as a funny feeling when she bent over to pick up her sippy cup she had dropped.
Now, let me back up a bit. For the past 4-6 weeks, Spicy Girl has had a difficult time behaving in Sunday School. She has a bit of a strong will, and will throw a fit if she doesn't get her way. If you give in to her, she will push it further. I told her teachers they had to page me when this happens so I can "nip it in the bud!" They finally brought her to me today. I took Spicy Girl into a room, asked her again what was wrong. She said, "I just want you Mommy." I replied with, "I love you, but you have to stay in your class and mind your teachers. I always come to get you when class is over. If you continue to "disobey" your teachers, and they have to come get me, you will be in trouble." I continued on with what the consequences would be if I was paged again.
Now, let me digress once again. My husband is the Children's Pastor at our church ( a large church with lots of kids), so we are quite busy on Sunday mornings.
So..... Spicy Girl makes it almost to the end of service, and I'm paged. Again, crying, not following directions, wants her Mommy. I come in, take her by the hand, and proceed to Daddy's office. As we head up there, I ask Spicy Girl if she remembers what the consequences would be if I was called again. She did. When we got up to his office, I sat down and looked her in the eyes again, and gently asked why this happened again. It's at that moment I noticed the glazed look in her eyes. I felt her head, neck and armpits. Oh my goodness, my baby had fever. I took her down to the nursery to take her temperature, and yes, she had 102. I felt like the biggest dirtwad!! She was not warm the first time around, but obviously not feeling good. I looked at her throat that she told me earlier hurt, and yes, it was red and swollen.
So my baby wanted her Mommy because she didn't feel good. She's 3 and hasn't gotten how to say, "Mommy, I don't feel good." yet. I was so glad I didn't punish her. I held her in my arms and apologized. I explained that I didn't know she felt bad and that she was not in trouble.
Thankfully Spicy Girl has a very forgiving heart. She has loved on me all day, and I have responded in oodles of love on her.

8 comments:
I am very sad to hear that! Are y'all not coming to Lilly's Birthday party????????? You are a GREAT mother and you DO deserve an award! ; )
You're not bad. You didn't know. Your baby has a BIG heart!!! :-)
I have SOOOOO been there! Sorry you have now visited that low place. I think we all do. You live and learn.....and screw up again! Love ya!
Just wanted you to know that we missed you and SG this morning. Hope everyone is feeling better soon. Oh, and if this is the worst mistake you ever make as a mother, count yourself blessed! Just enjoy the snuggling.
You are still Supermom. Most moms would have proceded with the execution, but you kept looking for a reason why, and found it. Love to you and SG.
Old Man
Noone is perfect. What I've seen from your blog, you deserve anything but the world's worst mommy award! I'm not a mommy yet, but I can only imagine the mistakes I will make!
Hope your little spice girl feels better soon.
I am sorry Spicy Girl isn't feeling well... but you are far from the world's worst mother! You didn't punish her, but talked to her. I hope she is feeling better!!
Ok....Here's one for you....
baby G had a cough and runny nose that lasted for two weeks....I just kept giving him cough medicine and Tylenol as he grinned that baby grin at me and coughed up a lung some more. Finally..I decided to take him to the doctor--to nip that little cold in the bud! Well....come to find out...he had pneumonia pretty bad!! I felt the same way, mommy spice, but realized that i didn't know any better and learned from it! You're the best mommy I know!!
-Ali (yes, your cousin!)
Post a Comment