
For the past 4 years, there has been an episode we go through with Lauren that has had us completely stumped. Exactly one week after her birthday, she goes through a bedtime anxiety. She has a terrrible fear, screams and cries, and holds on to us so tightly. When she turned 2, she threw herself out of her crib and cried until the wee hours of the morning. When she turned 3, she would get out of bed and bang on her door screaming and crying. We tried everything...comfort, cuddling, assessing any discomforts, night lights and then tough love. After the 3 year old episode, she slept with the covers over her head, and does it to this day. These episodes usually last about 3 nights, then she goes back to complete normalcy (goes right to bed and falls right to sleep).
Well, Lauren turned 4 last week....exactly eight days ago yesterday, and the episode occured...right on time according to the pattern. She kept saying she was having bad dreams, but she hadn't even gone to sleep yet. Daddy and I took turns going in her room to comfort, and then we finally said NO MORE! As Daddy was in her room for the last time, I heard him trying to comfort her, but she could not be consoled. I began to pray as I was in the hallway. I asked God why we have this episode every year at this time; there must be some reason for it. About 30 seconds after asking that question, Daddy called me into the room. He was holding Lauren with tears rolling down his cheeks, and he said to me, "What happened to her 8 days after her birth?" I knew exactly what he was talking about. She was abandoned. We know this because when she was found, she had a note on her with her birthdate on it. She was abandoned at 8 days old. Last night was exactly 8 days after her birthday. This has been happening every year exactly one week after her birthday. We saw this episode in a whole new light. Lauren has stored that horrible memory somewhere in her subconscious, and relives it every year. I wouldn't have believed it had our social worker not told us to watch her as she grows. She said things will come out as she gets older, things seeded from her abandonment. 8 days old... How can one so young be affected like that?
Well, I believe in a God of mercy. He is the one who shed light on her suffering last night. I asked Him to break this cycle of suffering, and I believe He will. She does not have to relive this nightmare for the rest of her life!
What she does know, as she cuddled on the sofa with us last night, is that she is loved, safe and will be ours forever. She pulled us closly on each side of her, pulled the blanket over us and said, "I love my family."

8 comments:
I will say a prayer for Lauren a well. I'm so glad God gave you insight into this. I'm also glad you shared this. I will keep this in mind in case My Lauren goes through a similiar thing. It's amazing at such a young age they can be so affected!
Isn't it amazing how our minds work? But it's even more amazing how God works. I pray, too, that Spicy Girl won't have to relive this memory again. Give her an extra hug from us!
She is a blessed girl to have such God-dependant parents! Thank you God for parents who comfort us when we're scared.
I have chills all over me. I am talking to you right now on the phone. You know God can break any cycle and this one that certainly doesn't need to continue. That sweet baby was made for your arms. You are an amazing Mom and I am blessed to be a part of this journey with you.
There is so much LOVE and care and sadness and understanding all wrapped up in this story. What an amazing mommy and daddy God has provided for this little girl. LOVE waiting right around the corner for Qing Qing. I can see why she loves her family. God is Good.
You are so very blessed to be a part of an amazing Family! God will guide & protect Lauren, as well as the HunanParents. I am praying for you.....
That must have been a real eye opener and relief to finally understand why Lauren was crying shortly after her birthday. It gives you such true empathy.
I know in my heart that Emily and Carly carry deeply rooted sadness and are scarred in their own ways too.
All we can do is soothe, nurture and love.
Be well...
oh my...
i am bawling and touched at the same time. That is amazing. I would have never thought we could have memories deep down from such a young age....Yes....she is SO lucky to have a mommy and daddy that will love her forever!!
I pray that the family who left her has healing..probably has the same nightmare every year.....
Post a Comment