
These are our best friends from "Small Town, Texas." We will call them K, D, Big A and Little A. Our husbands have known each other since they were about 11 or 12. D and I came on the scene at age 18. K met D in college at Evangel in Springfield, Ill. D is originally from New York, but after getting engaged and then married, K brought D home to Texas. It's one thing to have two guys who have been friends since childhood...but to have their wives completely hit it off is rare. Well, D and I became close friends... and then best friends. Before children blessed our families, the four of us were inseparable. We spent every weekend together playing cards, telling great stories about growing up, and on occasion, taking hunting trips. We even got snowed in together for 2 days and played RISK and baked cookies. After a few years of marriage, it was time to start building our families. What fun it was going to be to raise our children together. Well, K & D started their family, but it was a little slower for us. That's when the truest test of friendship came in to play. D was amazing. She was not only my friend, but my confidant, prayer partner and constant encourager. I don't know what I would have done without her. I was blessed to be there for the birth of her two children. I got to watch them grow from babies to toddlers, then pre-k'ers. I even got to see Big A go to Kindergarten. During this time Daddy Spice and I were in the process of adopting a baby from China. K and D and their family were so excited to go through this process with us. After returning home from China, our worlds took a huge, unexpected turn. God was moving the Spicy Family to a new city. Oh, did I mention that we had lived next door to each other for 7 years? After being home with Spicy Girl for one year, we finalized our plans and moved. Heart breaking!! Friendships like this don't happen every day. Of course we call, email and see each other every chance we get, but it is so hard being away from each other. Today D sent me these pictures of her family. Now Little A is in Kindergarten, and I wasn't there to see her go. We put God first in our lives and go wherever He calls us. That is a definite in both families lives. We have come to the realization that there are many families/people who don't ever have friendships like this. We were so blessed to have the time together that we had, and because of that we will always be best friends.

2 comments:
You make me cry Mommy Spice! D :)
I know the heartsick feeling of leaving your friend. I also the know the feeling of gaining a new one.....that fits realllllllllllllllyyyyyy well. XXOO Talk to you this week!
Post a Comment