Tuesday, November 27, 2007

S'mores & Ornaments





Tonight, after dinner, we toasted marshmallows and made the most delicious s'mores in honor of decorating our Christmas tree.

Yummmmm!!






Time to decorate the tree!!







I thought I would share some of my favorite ornaments I've gathered through the years.
This precious ornament was given to us right after returning home from China. It has the year that we adopted Spicy Girl.



This panda was a gift from Panda Mom last year.








I started teaching in 1993. I have received many ornaments from students over the years. This one I received in 2000 from a sweet boy and his German mother.



This is one of Daddy Spice's ornaments from when he was a little boy. His mother gave it to me several year ago. I treasure it, as I don't have any from when I was a kid.





I have loved the Peanuts since I was a kid. I was so excited to get this ornament to celebrate their 50th anniversary.










For several years, after my Pomeranian had died, I looked for an ornament with a Pomeranian. I could never find one. My sweet mother-in-law found one for me last year. This was Baby, my wonderful Pomeranian.




And this one, of course, is dedicated to my Delilah, whose "bowling" Baby over in doggy heaven.






When our family moved away from home, we had to sell the house we had built next door to our best friends. When we moved, I found this ornament, "kindred spirits" for my best friend. She spent the next year looking for the same ornament for me and finally found it. Now we both have one we put on our tree every year.


Daddy Spice and I got married the week before Christmas. It was my first year teaching, and many of my students gave us special ornaments.


This is the first home my husband and I had built. It was a white stone, two story house. We loved it and hated having to sell it and move away.






One of the ornaments a student gave me my first year teaching.

One of my teacher friends went to London and brought all of us this Harrods ornament. I don't know why I love it so much. It's just really cute...and I've been to Harrods too.
And last but not least, this is the newest one Spicy Girl's grandmother bought her right after Thanksgiving. S.G. loves puppies and kitties.

It's all done. There are so many more I could post, but it would just take forever. I have a lot of S.G.'s special ornaments, but they all have her name on them, so I left them out.












Please tell me about some of your favorite ornaments. I love the stories they tell.

















































































































16 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

oh lovely post!
Beautiful tree and ornaments!

My most cherished ornaments are those that fellow waiting mommies and I exchanged as we waited for each of our blessings. I love to get them out each year and remember...That is why I wanted to do an ornament giveaway on the blog, I just love adoption related ornaments.

Christy said...

AWWWW!!! I love that!! My parents didnt do the buy a new ornament each year but we have done so with our kids. Just last night my boys were bringing me all their old ornaments and were asking if they were really from thier first, second, and so on Christmas'. They were so excited to break out all the ornaments and go through them. When their friends stopped by this morning to walk to the bus with them they pulled them out and were showing them. It was so cute. We have not finished decorating the tree but I love that tradition. Tree is up and hopefully we will decorate and do the hot chocolate thing with the kids.

THanks for sharing.

Christy :)

Verna said...

Thanks for sharing your ornaments--they are all beautiful and full of sentiment, I can tell. Hope you have a great holiday season.

Holly said...

Great post! Very pretty ornaments. Love the picture of SG eating the s'more!

Holly said...

Great post! Very pretty ornaments. Love the picture of SG eating the s'more!

Tamara said...

Your tree is gorgeous, and how wonderful all the memories the ornaments hold. I love the idea of smores with the decorating- yum!

Linette said...

Oh I can almost taste that smore. :)

I love your ornaments. Isn't it great getting them all out and "remembering when." That's my favorite part about putting up the tree! My favorites are the ones of Hannah every year. Amazing how much they change every year.

C's Mom said...

Yum - smores and family time decorating the tree. What a perfect evening!

Julie and Steve said...

Love the tree and all the stories behind the ornaments...I have one on my tree (that I inherited from my mom) that is almost exactly like Daddy Spice's! Except it's the girl version - I just put my tree too - so I'll take a photo and send it to you!

Steffie B. said...

Just darling.....I'll post about my tree as well.

Stop by my blog....you've been mentioned! ;)

Nikki said...

Your tree looks beautiful...and so does SG of course!
And the s'mores did look DELICIOUS.
Your ornaments are sweet - I love decorating the tree with all the special things (old and new)...

Journey to Lilly! said...

oh I love this post. Each year we go to Christmas Village & get an ornament for each child. This was Lilly's first :) I got her Dora the Exlplorer because she loves her video's. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your beautiful family & great tree!!
Blessings,
Kim

4D said...

We have a tradition where we buy one ornament to represent each year. I may do a post on them.

LOVELY decorations and wonderful memories.

Keep smilin!

Mardi said...

What a great post!!! I will share some of my fav's with you when I put our tree up sooon.

Unknown said...

Love the ornaments! We have a bunch of meaningful ornaments on our tree too. Several of them are from China. The rest have memories attached to them and I have quite a few from when I was a child. I don't have any of hubby's childhood ornaments nor do I know if any exist. Hmmmm...

Your daughter is adorable! I have a daughter from Hubei and a son from S. Korea.

Happy holidays!

LaLa said...

I just took pics of mine today..but then had to play outside in the hot weather so that post is coming. I love all of yours and the stories they tell : )