Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's in Your Lunchbox???

This morning I was making Spicy Girl's lunch for school quickly because I forgot to make it last night. She was eating her cereal while I was throwing it together, and saw that I put the prepackaged Pringles in her lunchbox. She made the comment that someone else in her class had the same chips, so she was glad she was taking those today. I thought about my lunchbox days, and remembered when it was cool to have certain things in my lunchbox.
Let's start with the lunchbox. I was, and still am, a big Snoopy fan. I had that yellow, construction worker lunchbox with the thermos along with one similar to this Peanuts lunchbox. I used that a couple of years before I moved up to the Disco lunchbox. Now, let me explain. My mother was a disco nightclub singer when I was a kid. I grew up listening to disco. I thought it was so cool....until I showed up in 4th grade with this lunchbox. Ugh! I was so embarrassed! But, that's what I chose, and that's what I had to use.

Now, let's start with dessert, because that's the best part, right?? Always a Twinkie or Ding Dong. The Ding Dongs were big because you could do cool stuff with the foil wrapper afterward. Do they put them in foil wrappers anymore?

The chips were a big deal as well. For a long while, it was all about the Fritos. When we all got tired of those, we moved on to Doritos. That, of course, was before the Cool Ranch or Spicy Fire flavors.


I think, literally, I had a bologna sandwich every day. Ugh!! If I knew what that stuff was then....well, I probably would have still eaten it. Not any more though. I won't touch the stuff.

What was in your lunchbox? What kind of lunchbox did you have?

14 comments:

Becky said...

I'm probably dating myself, here - I had a Partridge Family lunch box! My mom used to get creative and make sandwiches out of leftovers from the night before, so my favorite lunches were, like your SG's, what the other kids had (baloney, peanut butter, ham and cheese). My favorite dessert was Snak Pak pudding - in those metal cups with the ring that pulled off the lid (remember those?)!

Unknown said...

boy did you just bring back memories..I remember my thermos and having soup in it!

Lisa said...

Great post! I had a Snoopy lunch box too, and then a Partridge Family one, just like chinamama4! Wow, that brings back a lot of memories! I can remember hating the smell of Frito's because I never ate the ones my mom gave me and my lunch box stunk so bad by the end of the day! Ha!

~LL~ said...

I always had hot lunch....oh how I wanted to bring a packed lunch in a lunch box.

Terri said...

I was visiting your blog and had to say it. Partridge Family, It is on a bookshelf in my living room. :-)

Sarah Robbins-Bartlow said...

I was totally rockin the Dukes of Hazard. I loved me some "good 'ol boys".

Christy said...

My hubby hates the lunches I make for the boys. I always do a piece of fruit and then it goes down hill from there. I ususally do a main dish-- like sometimes a frozen corn dog but I usually try to make some sort of sandwich but then I usually do a bag of chips, a pudding, a little thing of apple sauce, a granola bar and maybe gummies. It is horrible for them but they eat some of it as a snack during recess and then the rest at lunch. They are active boys and eat a ton. I feel bad that I dont do the organic cool food but 1- it is too expensive and 2- it is too much work. Sorry-- a bit lazy!!!

Christy :)

Jill W said...

I had a Donny Osmond lunchbox. Oh, I thought it was so cool. I think I had a bologna sandwich almost everyday too. If not that, it was good old pb&j. The dessert in my lunch box was usually a zinger. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.

redmaryjanes said...

Oh man, I'm trying to remember. Probaby scooby doo. I loved scooby doo. Ho ho's were my favorite. And I loved/still love peanut butter and jelly :)

Debbie and Sam said...

I had the same yellow construction worker Snoopy lunch box! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Mardi said...

How fun,I love this post! ;) I lived on Ding Dong's! I was bad and would spend my lunch money on them instead of a healthy meal my mom intended on me buying! :)

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

I don't think I had a lunch box, I think I just threw all my stuff in my big school bag.
I do remember that my mom always bought really cheap bread that just tasted stale all the time!

Steffie B. said...

OMW....I'm just catching up on all your posts.....I had the yellow hard snoopy lunch box too.....this was a cute post....hope everything goes through with the house....how exciting! ;) Hope SG is feeling better....poor baby! ;)
Have a great weekend....

Nikki said...

Oh! I totally remember fondly those days.
My lunch box was Holly Hobbie and the latch on it was loose, so just about EVERYDAY on my walk to school it would POP OPEN and I would pick up all the pieces of my lunch off of the ground and continue walking.
I usually had PB&J with doritos (I would put the doritos inside my sandwich to add crunch). My mom usually gave me money to buy dessert at school - I usually chose and ice cream sandwich...and on special days there was a note from my mom on a napkin. THAT was the best!