My cousin recently emailed me this picture of my grandmother, my Mimi. I have seen this picture many times in my lifetime, but never had it in my posession. I'm so glad to have it now. Today I want to honor my grandmother and share the gifts she gave me.Mimi, Dr. Stella Prude Smith, was a Professor of English Literature at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Tx. She was the mother of 4; David (my father), Emily (his twin sister), Gail and Stella. The first gift she gave me; my family. Secondly, she gave me the love of books ( a little non-existant in my teenage years, but a big comeback as an adult). When I was a young child, my parents sent me to Mimi's house in Lubbock for the summer. My older cousin and I adored Mimi's time, stories and laughter. She took us to the library every week and let us check out 10 books. She would sit down after the library and read every one of them to us.
The third gift was the gift of learning/teaching. I received my college degree in Elementary Education in 1993, and Mimi was there to applaud my walk across the stage. She also helped me decorate my very first 2nd grade classroom.
Mimi loved her cats. I think at one time, she had 15 cats, and some other neighborhood critters she fed on a regular basis. When visiting her, we would sit on the back patio, talk to the kitties, and eat breakfast.
I loved Mimi dearly, and I know how much she loved me. I was blessed to be her granddaughter, and hope one day to carry on her name, Mimi.

3 comments:
I just love old pictures! I think you have your MiMi's eyes. Someday you will make a great MiMi!
Mimi would love SG about thissssssss much. SG has the spark of life that so typified Mimi. She would love to know (and no doubt may)that SG is her great granddaughter. She would also love this beautiful remembrance from her cherished granddaughter.
My Mimi was a gardener. That is why I love plants so much! I hate being so far away from my parents, and I hate that my DH’s parents are so sick, my kids can not even see them! It is such a big loss! They really add depth to our children’s lives!
- Amy Heymann
catching butterflies
Post a Comment