Saturday, February 03, 2007

Working on Mei Mei....cont.


It's been a while since I updated on the process of our second adoption. As some of you may know, we've been working on our dossier for our second Chinese adoption since last August. One of the last forms we were waiting for was our I 171-H, which is a letter that approves us for international adoption, and gives us the timeframe we have in which to travel. Upon receiving this form, I pulled out our dossier guide to see what we needed in order to finish. One item I was concerned about was our police clearance report. Not that we've gotten in to any trouble at all, but there was a traffic ticket that showed up on one of our reports. Now, it's not such a big deal here to have a traffic violation, but China wants to see a PERFECTLY clear report. Our local police department woul not give us that. So I called my agency and they suggested we go to our county sherrif's department. I was a little intimidated to do so, as they were not very compliable at the police dept. As we are this close to completing our dossier, I thought I'd go ahead a chance it, knowing they would stare at me through the bullet proof glass, smerk at me and tell me there's nothing they could do. I prayed that God would give us favor with the sherrif's department, and that He would please help us get a "no record" report. So here's what happened....I was greeted face to face with two of the sweetest ladies. They were more than willing to help us. Now thankfully, traffic violations don't show up at the sherrif's dept. so it was easy to get what we needed. They looked carefully at the directions page indicating the precise way this letter should read. They invited me behind closed doors to answer some questions, let me double check the wording, offered to stay past 5:00pm so that Daddy could stop by with his driver's liscense, and came out with candy for Spicy Girl. Then the Chief Deputy came out with a sherrif's badge and stuffed elephant for Spicy Girl. He sat and talked with us for a few minutes, and shared about his 2 adopted children and many others who have come and gone through his home. When all was done, I had to hug the lady who took the time to make sure we got exactly what we needed. I expressed my deepest gratitude. They treated us with such respect and kindness. God certainly answered my prayer, and I'm glad to know the people who watch out for our safety every day.

9 comments:

Beckyb said...

Wow - we started our paperwork last July so we TOTALLY understand - we have hit more roadblocks this time around than we ever did the first time!! We are DTC now but no LID yet. Hang in there!

PandaMom said...

Way to go GOD!!!!! His favor was on you!!! I can't wait to see little Mei Mei and know all that you have gone through to get to her! See you Monday. ; )

Emmie said...

Glad everything turned out to be OK and God answered your prayers! Hope your adoption process speeds up and continues to go well! :)

redmaryjanes said...

We had wonderful luck at our local Sheriff's Department too. We had to go there for police clearance. I didn't know about traffic tickets though.
It sounds like you are ready to be DTC!!
Congrats! That is such a huge milestone.

Steffie B. said...

I'm still waiting for our 171H as well. We've had 2 snags (none before) so I am praying to maybe, FINALLY see it in the mail this week. Maybe we will be DTC together! That would be fun!

Tamara said...

Oh what a relief to get that clearance letter and get to interact with pleasant people! The day turned out great for all of you! Yay on getting this important piece of paper!

Mary said...

One step closer to your daughter!! How wonderful!! Congratulations!

Mardi said...

How awesome! God is soo good!

Phat Girl said...

God is Great! Praise God for wonderful, caring people! I am so very excited for you!