Have I mentioned before that I was a second grade teacher? I taught for 10 years. I LOVED IT! I considered teaching my ministry, so I put my whole heart into it. I taught my first 7 years in a "low" performing district. I had no parent volunteers, and worked my booty off teaching the kiddos. It was the most exhausting job, but I loved it.
My last 3 years were spent in a "high" performing district. What a difference. I had more parents than I could handle that wanted to be involved. I really didn't know what to do with them because I was so used to doing it on my own. I soon learned the awesome value of a parent volunteer.
I worked very hard teaching the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), but had a blast with some of the special events. This first picture is how we celebrated Halloween. Instead of dressing in Halloween costumes, we dressed as story book characters and had a Story Book Parade. I prepared "cookies" for the kids who did not come to school in a costume. Have you read the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie? Well, I was the mouse and the kids were my cookies.
Every year we dressed as Pilgrims and Indians for our Thanksgiving Feast.
For Christmas, we had a Polar Express Party. I was doing this WAY before the movie came out. We read the story, I gave them all a silver bell, we drank hot cocoa and wore our jammies.

I put together an awesome Arthur Unit. We studied Marc Brown and his Arthur & DW books. Did you know that Marc Brown puts his children's names in all of his books? Look for the names Tucker, Eliza and Tolon. You'll see them everywhere. We had all kinds of literature activities that went with the books, and then we celebrated the last day with an Arthur Campout! We set up tents, made s'mores, rope tying, flashlight reading in tents, making bracelets....Then at the very end of the day, we wrote a postcard home. This is where my parent volunteers were a HUGE help.


17 comments:
You are so talented and creative! You are a parents dream for a teacher. I am sure you do miss it and I am sure you impacted many lives while teaching. However, you are doing the hardest yet most rewarding job that you could ever do and that is raising your precious daughter. We love "If you give a mouse a cookie" book. What a sweet gesture for you to give a "cookie" to the kids who didn't have costumes. Now, THAT is ministry! :)
Oh I love the pics! How cute! And what neat activities to go along with the books. Very creative.
Wow! You are awesome. I love the idea of a Polar Express Party!
Love all the pics...you do look like you were having a great time. What a wonderful idea with the cookie..what a heart for children you have : )
I taught high school for 9 years and sometimes I miss it too..sometimes. I taught English (I know, hard to believe when you see how much a "shortcut" on my blog by using my ...) My favorite was teaching theater and doing the school plays. The kids really let go and some great things happened.
I know how you feel though, being a SAHM is the best job I have ever had. It is great that you get to get your "fix" a couple of days a week....
What a wonderful teacher you are! Amazing activities. I can tell that you are a teacher thru and thru & care a lot.
Keep smilin!
P.S. I wanted to ask you, in your header there is a pic of SP in front of a castle. Is that a mural or a toy? We are looking for castle inspirations for the baby room.
I hope LMF gets a teacher like you who sees that students are a teacher's ministry!
Unbelievably we have not read that book. We will have to get it from the library.
HMM, if there is a rain out next week, maybe I will have to borrow some of your creativity.
See you soon!
Mommy Firecracker
I ALMOST miss it...almost. LOL! No..I do miss teaching, BUT, I am a middle school teacher. Though I admire you and your abilities in the calssroom, I'm one of those "trained teachers" that stands in awe of what you can do. I'd rather teach Pre-Algebra. LOL!
Awwww.....look at you with all your little students! Love it!
If I ever become a principal again, I'd love to have you as a teacher. You're definitely the kind of teacher that kids need. Until then, let's just enjoy being SAHMs as long as possible. There are days that I actually miss those mischievous little Intermediate kids!!!
What a great teacher you were! I love the mouse and cookie idea! SG is really blessed to have a mom to teach her! I hope you do get back to it someday.
I wish I could have had a teacher like you! What a great inspiration to all of your students.
I totally hear you - I was a teacher too - I guess that's why I love my library job so much! Your room looked like a total blast - and what great learning ideas too - I am sure your students AND parents loved you!!! GOOD teachers are hard to come by!
Such pretty pictures and
such fond memories! "AWESOME"
How much fun! I am sure that your students absolutely love you!
Oh my gosh...you are one of those awesome, never forget you, teachers! I love the Pilgrims and Indians picture! :) What a legacy you are living! Your students will remember you forever. I still remember my Mrs. Tuckey from the 3rd grade who did things like you have pictured here.
Ohhh! I absolutely LOVED my 2nd grade teacher...looks like your kids loved you too.
Such fun ideas you have -- I am nowhere near that creative.
OMG, how incredibly creative! I will tell you that you have DEFINITELY made a difference in these kids lives. They'll remember the teacher that took her time to make things fun for them. I am always amazed at teachers - the most important job you could have (aside from being mama!), and yet it's not seen that way. *sigh*
Post a Comment