As I said in my previous post, this was a Girl's Weekend. My Aunt Stella, cousin Jill and her daughter Shelby came from the Houston area for a visit. I can't remember the last time I got to really spend some quality time with this part of my family. I spent many summers with them when I was a child, and we have made the most wonderful memories. This weekend we made new memories.
I want you to know that Jill, her husband Charlie, son Travis and daughter Shelby are Katrina Survivors. They lived in Slidell, Louisiana, and lost everything. Houston is home to Jill, so she and her family have relocated and made their home back in the Houston area. I'm so sorry for what they've been through, but they are SURVIVORS. This morning, before they left, I got to hear more of Jill's side of the story...taking their boat around to rescue people off of the tops of buildings. She began to cry as she told me about the lines of people she saw at the train station, which was a drop off place, that had such a look of loss and hopelessness on their faces. Once again, this time with her was priceless!!
Jill is putting Shelby's hair in pig tails while Spicy Girl is doing imaginary face painting.
The next day we went to one of my favorite tea rooms for lunch.
After lunch, we went to a cemetery nearby where our great grandmother, great-great grandfather and several other family members are buried. It turns out, when we moved to this area, we found out how close we were to them. I have enjoyed bringing my relatives to this cemetery when they come visit. We wanted to do stone rubbings, but it was sprinkling.

12 comments:
Look like you guys had a lot of fun! Survivors what lucky girls! They both look very sweet and it looks like you all had a lot of fun!
Looks like all you girls had a blast...pajama parties are always fun! Love the pics!
Okay, guess what??? I have those pink elephant pj pants!!! I got them at Target the same night I got my pj's with the asian babies on them. Mommy Spice, we are so much alike.
It looks like you all had such a fun weekend with your family. Don't you just love to do fun things like hang out and have a slumber party with people you love. I am glad you and SG had a great time. Oh, if you look on my profile you will see I love all things tea related. Maybe one day you, SG, Mallory and I can have tea together.
WOW!!!! What a fun girls weekend!
So glad you guys had a great time. What great pictures!
Glad you had a great time
with your family! Looks
like you girls had a blast!
It truly looks like everyone had a great time..THanks for posting pics..Memories like that are precious
What an amazing girlie weekend!
Girl weekends are the best, and what a happy, colorful group!
Looks like a wonderful time.....I LOVE the name Stella! ;)
WOW! I love hearing stories of survivors of Katrina. My Parents office building is in Slidell, and my Parents live in Covington. Since I was born in New Orleans, every time I hear a Katrina story I cry. New Orleans and her surrounding areas are home to me. I still can not believe it took our Gov't so long to actually help the survivors of Katrina. I'll end this comment now before I get on my soap box.
P.S. I'm glad you had such a great weekend!!! Hugs!
No pj party is complete without manis, pedis and a dachsie!
Fun stuff!
Keep smilin!
Post a Comment