We spent a lot of time researching bulldogs, then we found some breeders of show dogs. They let us come over, ask questions, and take a look at their puppies. We fell in love with her.
She was supposed to be D.S.'s dog, but in reality, she was my squishy girl. We absolutely adored her. She and the pomeranian got along great. We called them Beauty & the Beast.
Delilah was about 5 years old when we brought Spicy Girl home. They hit it off!! S.G. would stick her tongue out and pant like Delilah when she saw her. It cracked us up.
We lost Delilah last summer. It was quite tragic actually. She didn't die from usual bulldog problems; it was a freak accident. She got her head stuck in a chip bag that was left out during the night, and suffocated. I found her the next morning as S.G. and I were heading out to the library. That was the first time we had to explain death to S.G. We cried together, buried her and had a little funeral for her. (We did not let S.G. see her. D.S. buried her while S.G. and I waited in the house).
I decided a while back that I would never have another bulldog because they are so high maintenance, but I don't know if I could pass one up now. I miss her so much.

12 comments:
My dog died in a freak way too. I love animals...I get really attached! Maybe a new dog n a few years would be good. You can always tell when people grow up with animals. They just seem calmer and more respectful. Animals are very good for kids. Our dog brings out the worst in my sons. Poor dog! Still, how would they learn with out him?
We just lost our 2nd Boston Terrier since we've been home w/Kailee. We lost Bandit on Oct 5th and Teeko on Feb 5th. I still cry for them and have not had the courage to post about Teeko yet. So, I know exactly how you feel. Your Delilah was an awesome dog I'm sure!
We LOVED her, too and miss her slobbers!
Oh my god. I can't stop crying. I have a bulldog too, and 8 months ago he choked on one pebble of food, turned TOTALLY blue in front of me, tongue out of his mouth, peed on himself, not breathing, laid out FLAT on the kitchen floor, I was screaming and crying, trying to Heimlich him, etc... nothing seemed to work, I walked away from him thinking he was dead... but somehow he started to arouse... (though he had to spend a full day in an oxygen tank at my ex's clinic). Reading your post made my heart SO break for you. I tasted what it would feel like to lose Ransom, and I almost know your pain... and your love of bulldogs (and funny, I didn't want this dog at all either, husband, now ex, wanted him and he is SO my dog! He's become the love of my life).
I love the pics you posted. Those memories must be really tough. I am still crying for you typing this. Maybe one day another bulldog will capture your heart. In the meantime, I hope you can find lasting peace in all your best memories...
That is so sad. It's amazing how animals can capture our hearts and become full-fledged members of our families.
I thought of you and Delilah Rose the minute I awoke today. I am very glad you posted this- hopefully (as you said on the comment on my blog) it will save another dog's life. And I can't even imagine how you got through typing it. I can hardly talk about my "near miss" with Ransom and I get so upset about it. I see so clearly how it could have gone the other way. And I know one day he'll go (he has a heart defect, his dad won Westminster in 04- not best in show, like best in his class?- breeder wanted to put him down when they found the murmur, husband was the vet cardiologist on the case and asked permission to adopt him). So anyway, short story long, he probably won't live to be over 6- or if he does, I'll be extremely lucky... in the meantime, he thankfully doesn't mind being snuggled up on and loved constantly.
That is so sad and I am sorry for your loss. Delilah sounds like a great dog!
Awww....sweet Delilah Rose. I know that many have a tragic pet death. (we are there, too.) I had 2 dachshunds, one got out through a hole in the fence. Rosebud went to follow Leonard. Difference was, Leonard was (is) skinny, Rosebud was a porker. She hung herself. :(
I still hurt for her, but love pets so much that I must have them. You will always love Delilah, but will have room for another precious pup. :D
{{{HUGS}}}
owww...I cannot even imagine the grief I will feel when I lose my Bailey. Bailey is a blonde cocker-poo and truly the sweetest dog I've ever know. She is so much a part of our family. So sorry you lost your pup. :(
My hubby (www.valtool.blogspot.com) is pretty upset today because our BIL cat who was living with us died last night. Feel free to stop and share a word with him.
That dog is beautiful!!!!!
I am so sorry to hear about how your sweet pup, Delilah, died. I have two pups and I absolutely adore them! Hugs!
Delilah was one of the lovingest dogs of all time. She loved a belly scratching, and countered with a big sloppy kiss (lick). I miss her, too. Good remembrance for Miss Delilah Rose.
Post a Comment