Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Quality Time

I have been reading the book, The Five Love Languages of Children. Last night I read the Quality Time chapter. Now, Spicy Girl is 4 and the book says that their love languages are not "defined" until the age of 5. For the first 4 years you focus on all 5 love languages. However, Daddy Spice and I are getting a pretty good idea of what Spicy Girl's 2 top love languages are. One of them is quality time. We've seen this in her since she was about 2 years old. As I read the chapter last night, I tried to reflect on how much quality time I spend with her. I know, I'm a stay at home mom with the exception on teaching pre-k two days a week. S.G. and I do lots of things together; playgroups, shopping, parks.... The question is, "How often do I sit down with her one on one and spend quality time with her?" The chapter talked about all the times a child will ask you to play with them, and your trying to clean the kitchen, fold laundry..... I was on the computer when S.G. asked me to play with her. My first response was, "In just a minute..." Her response was, "Nobody will play with me." That nobody was me, as I am the only one here with her right now. So I dropped what I was doing and asked her what she would like to do.


Her passion right now is crafts. She has her special table with all kinds of papers, crayons, markers, glue, pencils, sketch pads and so on.

This week our preschool is having a book fair. I found this drawing book for S.G., so today we pulled it out and drew some animals together. Here's what we came up with.

























We spent 15 minutes together drawing and writing. She let me take some pictures, and now she's happily playing in her room by herself right now. The book says even just a few minutes together fills their "love tank" and they are good to go for a little while. I don't say that meaning that I don't want to play. It's putting down the household chores, or whatever, that needs to get done, and speaking my daughter's love language with her.




If you don't have this book, I highly recommend it. It is an eye opener!






12 comments:

~LL~ said...

You are SO right. I love that book. It does make sense. Quality time is in my top 2. I remember being "brushed off" by my parents. I TRY not to do that when my kids want a playmate. Shoot...I'm so "good" at it that my laundry and housework is NEVER in decent shape. LOL!!!

PandaMom said...

OK~I am soooo buying that art book!

Nikki said...

Thanks for the book recommendation.
I loved your post.

SG did a great job drawing her animals, too...what a cool book for her!

Tamara said...

I learned a lot from this book too- great recommnedation. What a cool drawing book.

Steffie B. said...

I've read that book too, but it was years ago when Emmie was little. Might just have to pull that one out again! Thanks for the reminder! ;)

Steffie B. said...

SG did a great job, by the way! ;)

Mardi said...

I will definetly put this on my "to buy" list. Thanks for the recommendation!

redmaryjanes said...

This is a great post. As a working Mom I am always concerned about spending quality time with each of my children individually. I think that your book sounds great.

Unknown said...

what a great post and book. I cant wait to see what languages my daughter has

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Ok, for sure I am going to buy it...great recomendation and proof it works!

Becky said...

Gotta check out the Love Languages book from the library! And yes, those Usborne books (ANY books by them, really) are awesome! Do you know they now have a Chinese vocabulary book?

Mama Darling said...

I have got to get that book. I have been meaning to for awhile, just haven't done it yet. Thanks for reminding me.